SECTION I. INTRODUCTION
a. This bulletin provides Intermediate Direct Support (IDS) maintenance personnel with instructions for
installing tiedown anchors onto certain cargo carrying support vehicles. The anchors will provide the neces-
sary base required for securing nuclear loads and other sensitive cargo, and thereby prevent damage to the
cargo which could otherwise result from load shifting. This bulletin is not an inspection guide for factory in-
stalled tiedown anchors.
b. This bulletin authorizes the field installation of tiedown anchors for specified vehicles (paragraph 2).
The anchors, once installed, provide swiveling, recessed, readily accessible tiedown points for securing
c. To secure the load, use approved ratchet-type tiedown strap assemblies (NSN 5340-01-089-4997).
Each strap is fitted with a swivel-type snap hook at each end, which is inserted into the tiedown anchor eye.
The tiedown anchor eye must rotate a minimum of 180. The number of straps needed depends on the
cargo being transported, not the number of anchors there are on t he vehicle. Refer to t he appropriate weapon
system technical manual or Army Materiel Command (AMC) approved outloading drawings to determine the
number of straps required for transporfing the particular cargo you are carrying. Use those technical manuals
as requisitioning authority when ordering straps. Also, refer to those manuals or drawings for specific pro-
cedures to be used in securing nuclear loads or other sensitive cargo.
a. Tiedown anchors are applied to the following vehicles:
(1) Truck, Cargo: 2-1/2-ton, M35, M35A1, M35A2, M35A2C, M36, M36A1, M36A2, M36A2C, M36C.
(2) Truck, Dump: 2-1/2-ton, M342, M342A1, M342A2.
(3) Truck, Cargo: 5-ton, M54, M54A1, M54A1C, M54A2, M54A2C, M55, M55A1, M55A2, M813,
(4) Truck, Dump: 5-ton, M51, M51A1, M51A2, M817.
(5) Trailer, Cargo: 1/4-ton, M416, M416A1.
(6) Trailer, Cargo: 3/4-ton, M101, M101A1, M101A2.
(7) Trailer, Cargo: 1 1/2-ton, M105A1, M105A2, M332
b. The vehicles listed in paragraph 2a above should be modified only if they support the following weapon
(1) Pershing Missile System
(2) Pershing II Missile System
(3) Nike-Hercules Missile System
(4) Honest John Missile System
(5) 8-inch Howitzer-Towed and Self-Propelled