Clean all parts in a well-ventilated
area. Avoid inhalation of solvent
fumes and prolonged exposure of
skin to cleaning solvent. Wash
cleaning solvent (Fed. Spec. P-D
680) used to clean parts is potentially
dangerous to personnel and prop Do
not use near open flame or excessive
heat. Flash point of solvent is 100 to
138°F. (38 to 59° C).
(1) Clean all metal parts with cleaning
solvent, Fed. Spec. P-D-680, and dry thoroughly.
(2) Clean other parts with dry compressed
air and a clean cloth.
c. Inspection and Repair.
(1) Inspect the water tank and skid for
cracks, breaks, dents or bends.
(2) Straighten any dents or bends and weld
minor cracks or breaks.
(3) Replace a damaged water tank or skid
and stripped or missing hardware.
d. Assembly and Installation.
(1) Refer to figure 5-1 1, reassemble and
install the water tank and skid.
(2) Refer to figure 5-9 and install the level
(3) Refer to figure 5-9 and install the level
(4) Refer to figure 5-8 and install the water
control valve lines, valves and fittings.
(5) Refer to figure 5-7 and install the fuel
pressure gage and water temperature gage.
(6) Refer to figure 5-6 and install the low
water control assembly and water temperature control
(7) Refer to figure 5-5 and install the fuel
(8) Refer to figure 5-4 and install the fuel
filter and bracket.
(9) Refer to figure 5-3 and install the burner.
(10) Refer to figure 5-2 and install the
burner ignition transformer.
(11) Refer to figure 5-1 and install the water
heater control box.
Refill system if draining was necessary.
5-3. Water Heater Fuel Pump
a. Removal. Refer to figure 5-5 and remove the
(1) Remove the capscrews (1, fig. 5-12)
and remove the cover (2) and gasket (3).
(2) Remove the strainer (4).
(3) Remove the screws (5) and remove the
plate (6) and gear set (7).
(4) Remove the snapring (8), packing (9),
seal (10), spring washer (11), packing (12) and seal (13),
then remove shaft ( 14).
(5) Remove the port ( 15) and gasket ( 16).
(6) Remove the nut (17), gasket (18), plug
(19) and gasket (20) from the pump body (25).
(7) Remove the plug (21), gasket (22),
spring (23), and packing (24) from the pump body (25).
(8) Remove the by-pass plug (26) from
bottom of pump body (25) with a 3/16 inch hex head
wrench. Retain plug for installation in new pump.
5-12 Change 2