Clean all parts in a well-ventilated
area. Avoid inhalation of solvent
fumes and prolonged exposure of
skin to cleaning solvent. Wash
cleaning solvent (Fed. Spec. P-D-
680) used to clean parts is potentially
property. Do not use near open
flame or excessive heat. Flash point
of solvent is 100 to 138°F (38 to
Clean all parts of the air compressor and motor
using a cloth dampened in cleaning solvent, Fed. Spec.
P-D-680, and dry thoroughly, and/or dry compressed air
and a clean cloth.
(1) Inspect the grille, housing, motor and
base for cracks, dents, burrs and other damage.
(2) Inspect the gaskets for tears, cracks,
nicks and excessive wear.
(3) Inspect the switch assembly, valve
assemblies, cylinder head and sleeve assemblies,
pistons and piston rings for breaks, cracks, scores,
nicks, dents and other conditions which would impair
(4) Inspect all hardware for thread damage.
(1) Repair or replace damaged valve
assemblies, switch assemblies, housing, base, or grille.
4-4 (2) Replace all damaged gaskets, piston rings, and
(1) Install the spacer (39, fig. 4-2) and key
(38) onto the motor shaft.
(2) Install the piston rings (37) and spring
(36) onto the piston.
(3) Slide the piston (35) onto the motor
(4) Install the packing (33).
(5) Slide the housing (32) over the piston
(6) Install the valve (31) and arm (30).
(7) Install the gasket (29) and plate (28) on
the housing (32) and secure with screws (27).
(8) Install the head (26) onto the housing
and secure with screws (25).
(9) Install the valve (24), gasket (23) and
plug (22) in the head.
(10) Install the valve (21), case (20), felt
(19) and screen 18) in the head.
(11) Install the body (17) and valve (16).
(12) Install the seat (15), O-ring (14), stem
(13) and spring (12), then install the gasket (11) and
(13) Install the shaft (9) and secure with
(14) Install the switch (7) and fan (6) onto
(15) Install the grille (5) and secure with
(16) Position the air compressor and motor
on the base (3) and secure with lockwashers (2) and
g. Installation. Refer to figure 4-1 and install the
air compressor, motor and bracket.