4-8. WELDING REPAIR. (CONT)
Components Made of Aluminum. The following procedures provide instructions for
repairing assemblies of the laundry unit that are made of aluminum. Those assemblies
are: hose bin assembly, sound deadening panel assemblies, lower panel track, pre-
extraction bin assembly, platform assembly, and controller stand.
(1) Before welding, use a stainless steel wire brush and thoroughly clean surface to be
(2) Weld damaged area in accordance with MIL-W-45206A (MR), Class B.
Use welding rods that conform to AWS AS 10-61T, Federal Specification QQ-R-
566A, Class 4043, 3/32-inch diameter.
Use ac power source, 25 to 115 amperes.
Use argon inert shielding gas at 20 cubic feet per hour (0.57 cubic meters per
hour), 3/8-inch (9.5 mm) gas cup, and short arc to ensure good gas coverage.
Ensure penetration is to full depth, at 10 inches (25 cm) per minute welding
Preheat material to be welded to 50°F (10°C).
(3) Inspect weld joints for conformance with specification details and for surface
(4) Grind welded surfaces smooth.
(5) Use compound (item 14, app C) and clean exposed metal surfaces.
(6) Apply me coat of primer (item 6, app C).
(7) Apply finish coat (item 7, app C) in accordance with FED STD 595.
Section III. AUXILIARY EQUIPMENT
4-9. GENERATOR MAINTENANCE. Refer to TM 5-6115-585-34 for maintenance of generator
and its major components.
4-10. TRAILER (M10-61E1) MAINTENANCE. Refer to TM 9-2330-376-14&P for maintenance of