2-13. OPERATING PROCEDURES FOR BUTTON SEWING MACHINE - continued.
a. Selecting Needle - continued.
(4) Needle selection is based on the following:
175 x 7, Size 16
Describes the gage and eye size of the needle.
Describes the length of needle and type of point.
Describes the needle shaft length.
Be sure that power is turned off.
b. Installing the Needle.
(1) Select a good needle of the proper size as explained in paragraph a. Never use a bent needle or
one with the point blunted or turned.
(2) To set needle (2), turn the hand wheel clockwise until needle bar (4) moves up to its highest point.
(3) Loosen needle set screw (1) about one turn, put the shank of the needle up into the clamp as far as it
will go, and turn the long groove (3) of the needle to the front.
(4) Tighten needle set screw (1). If screw (1) is too loose, the needle will turn or slip.