4-37. DARNING SEWING MACHINE SLIDE, NEEDLE AND GUIDE PLATES MAINTENANCE - continued.
(1) Remove all buildups of grease, dirt, etc., by wiping with a wiping rag (Appendix F, Item 2)
Cleaning solvent, Federal Specification P-D-680, is both
toxic and flammable. Keep off skin Use only in a well-
ventilated area and avoid prolonged breathing of vapors.
Keep away from open flame.
(2) Clean using cleaning solvent (Appendix F, Item 8) and either a wiping rag (Appendix F
Item 2) or a medium bristle brush (Appendix F, Item 1).
(3) Allow to dry.
(1) Inspect hardware for damage.
(2) Inspect cylinder for burrs and damage.
(3) Inspect slide plate for burrs and damage.
(4) Inspect slide plate stop for burrs and damage.
(5) Inspect needle plate for burrs and damage.
Repair. Repair of the slide, needle and guide plates is limited to deburring and the replacement
of defective components.