5-21. CLOTHING SEWING MACHINE ARM SHAFT AND VERTICAL SHAFT MAINTENANCE - continued.
(1) Remove all buildups of grease, dirt, etc., by wiping with a wiping rag (Appendix F, Item 2).
Cleaning solvent, Federal Specification P-D-680, is both toxic and flammable. Keep off skin.
Use only in a well ventilated area and avoid prolonged breathing of vapors Keep away from open
(2) Clean using cleaning solvent (Appendix F, Item 8) and either a wiping rag (Appendix F, Item 2) or a
medium bristle brush (Appendix F, Item 1).
(3) Allow to dry.
(1) Inspect hardware for damage.
(2) Inspect shuttle shaft for damage.
(3) Inspect crank arm for damage.
(4) Inspect slide pulley for damage.
(5) Inspect crankshaft for damage.
(6) Inspect slide bar for damage.
(7) Inspect oil wick for damage
Repair. Repair is limited to the replacement of defective parts and the removal of burrs.