5-28. CLOTHING SEWING MACHINE TIMING - continued.
Feed Dog and Needle Timing.
(1) If the needle is correctly timed with the shuttle, the feed dog should be on its downstroke and level
with the throat plate when the point of the needle reaches the material If the balance wheel is turned
toward the front of the machine, the needle should enter the material and come back up. After the
needle on its upstroke has cleared the material, the feed dog should then rise above the throat plate
and push the material forward the distance of one stitch.
If the machine is not timed correctly, adjust per the following steps.
(2) Rotate the feed regulator dial to its highest setting (five). The machine will then make its longest
(3) Open the cover plate on the side of the machine head.
(4) Loosen the feed eccentric setscrew (1). If the screw is loosened, the feed dog can move without
moving the needle.
(5) Install throat plate without mounting screws.
(6) Turn the eccentric by hand until the feed dog is just ready to move below the top of the throat plate
and begin its returning motion (toward the front of the machine).
(7) Holding the eccentric in that position, turn the balance wheel toward the front of the machine until the
needle on its upstroke is even with the top of the throat plate. Then tighten the eccentric setscrew