5-44. BUTTON SEWING MACHINE AUTOMATIC THREAD TENSION DISKS AND RELEASE DISK, SPRING, AND STUDS ..
This task covers:
INITIAL SETUP :
General Mechanics Tool Kit (Appendix B,
Thread removed (para. 2-13).
Rag, wiping (Appendix F, Item 2)
Cleaning Solvent (Appendix F, Item 8)
Brush, Medium Bristle (Appendix F, Item 1)
(1) Remove tension stud thumb nuts (1).
(2) Lift the spring (2), the release disk (3) and the
two thread tension disks (4) from the stud (5).
(3) Lift the spring (6) and the two tension disks (7)
from the stud (8).
(4) Turn the studs (5 and 8) counterclockwise and
remove them from the machine arm.
(1) Remove all buildups of grease, dirt, etc., by wiping with a wiping rag (Appendix F, Item 2).
Cleaning solvent, Federal Specification P-D-680, is both toxic and flammable. Keep off skin.
Use only in a well ventilated area and avoid prolonged breathing of vapors Keep away from open
(2) Clean using cleaning solvent (Appendix F, Item 8) and either a wiping rag (Appendix F, Item 2) or a
medium bristle brush (Appendix F, Item 1).
(3) Allow to dry.