5-49. BUTTON SEWING MACHINE THREAD TENSION ROD ASSEMBLY MAINTENANCE - continued.
(1) Remove all buildups of grease, dirt, etc., by wiping with a wiping rag (Appendix F, Item 2).
Cleaning solvent, Federal Specification P-D-680, is both toxic and flammable. Keep off skin.
Use only in well-ventilated area and avoid prolonged breathing of vapors Keep away from open
(2) Clean using cleaning solvent (Appendix F, Item 8) and either a wiping rag (Appendix F, Item 2) or a
medium bristle brush (Appendix F, Item 1).
(3) Allow to dry.
(1) Inspect hardware for damage.
(2) Inspect spring for broken coils and corrosion.
(3) Inspect rod for damage.
(4) Inspect sleeve for damage
Repair. Repair is limited to the replacement of defective components with serviceable ones.