5-49. BUTTON SEWING MACHINE THREAD TENSION ROD ASSEMBLY MAINTENANCE - continued.
(1) Slide the thread tension rod (1) into the machine from the top.
(2) Slip the thread tension spring (2) over the thread tension rod (1).
(3) Thread both rod adjustment nuts (3) all the way up the threaded area of the thread tension rod (1).
(4) Grab the rod adjustment nuts (3) with a pair of pliers and push up to compress the spring. Install the
thread tension sleeve (4) into the machine with the hollow end up. Insert the thread tension rod (1)
into the thread tension sleeve.
(1) Rotate machine and observe thread tension rod travel to the highest point.
(2) Make sure that the automatic tension assembly will thread in place.
(3) Adjust rod adjustment nuts to lower thread tension rod.