5-50. BUTTON SEWING MACHINE THREAD RELEASE AND NIPPER MAINTENANCE - continued.
(1) Remove all buildups of grease, dirt, etc., by wiping with a wiping rag (Appendix F, Item 2).
Cleaning solvent, Federal Specification P-D-680, is both toxic and flammable. Keep off skin Use
only in well-ventilated area and avoid prolonged breathing of vapors. Keep away from open
(2) Clean using cleaning solvent (Appendix F, Item 8) and either a wiping rag (Appendix F, Item 2) or a
medium bristle brush (Appendix F, Item 1).
(3) Allow to dry.
(1) Inspect hardware for damage.
(2) Inspect thread nipper plate for damage.
(3) Inspect springs for broken coils and corrosion
(4) Inspect thread rod for damage.
(5) Inspect thread release lever for damage
Repair. Repair is limited to the replacement of defective components with serviceable ones.