5-51. BUTITON SEWING MACHINE ARM CLAMP AND SPREADER MAINTENANCE - continued.
(1) Remove all buildups of grease, dirt, etc., by wiping with a wiping rag (Appendix F, Item 2).
Cleaning solvent, Federal Specification P-D-680, is both toxic and flammable. Keep off skin.
Use only in well-ventilated area and avoid prolonged breathing of vapors. Keep away from open
(2) Clean using cleaning solvent (Appendix F, Item 8) and either a wiping rag (Appendix F, Item 2) or a
medium bristle brush (Appendix F, Item 1).
(3) Allow to dry.
(1) Inspect hardware for damage.
(2) Inspect closing spring for damage.
(3) Inspect left button clamp for damage.
(4) Inspect right button clamp for damage.
(5) Inspect springs for corrosion and broken coils.
Repair. Repair is limited to the replacement of defective components with serviceable ones.
(1) Install spring (1) and spring screw (4) onto left button clamp (3).
(2) Install spring (5) and spring screw (4) onto right button clamp (7).
(3) Install the left button clamp (3) to the spreader base (8). Secure with the clamp hinge screw (9).
(4) Install the right button clamp (7) to the spreader base (8). Secure with the clamp hinge screw (9).
(5) Install spreader handle (10) and secure with two spreader screws (11).
(6) Install bottom spreader (12) to the spreader base (8). Secure using spreader screw (13) and
spreader screw nut (14)