5-53. BUTTON SEWING MACHINE PULLEY STARTER AND TRIP BLOCK MAINTENANCE - continued.
(1) Inspect hardware for damage.
(2) Inspect slide starting bracket for damage.
(3) Inspect shaft stop arm for damage.
(4) Inspect arm spring for broken coils and corrosion.
(5) Inspect starting plate for damage.
Repair. Repair is limited to the replacement of defective components with serviceable ones.
(1) Install arm bolt (1) through stop block (2) and into shaft stop arm (3). Place twenty-two spring discs
(4) onto the arm bolt (1) with each one paired off with another spring disc (4), concave side facing
(2) With the arm bolt (1) fully installed Secure with arm spring (5) and two arm bolt nuts (6).
(3) Install the shaft (7) and secure with two collar setscrews (8).
(4) Install drive arm screw (9) and screw (10) lightly into shaft stop arm (3). Slide shaft stop arm (3) onto
the drive shaft
(5) The point of stop block (2) should fit into the clutch wheel.
(6) The slide starting bracket (11) should be rotated so that the side plate (13) just contacts the ball on
the clutch, enough to keep the large ball from falling out and drive pulley should be 1/16" from clutch
(7) Line up screw (10) with the flat on the drive shaft. Tighten drive arm screw (9) and screw (10).