5-58. BUTTON SEWING MACHINE CAM AND DRIVE SHAFT MAINTENANCE continued.
(1) Remove all buildups of grease, dirt, etc., by wiping with a wiping rag (Appendix F, Item 2).
Cleaning solvent, Federal Specification P-D-680, is both toxic and flammable. Keep off skin.
Use only in a wellventilated area and avoid prolonged breathing of vapors. Keep away from open
(2) Clean using cleaning solvent (Appendix F, Item 8) and either a wiping rag (Appendix F, Item 2) or a
medium bristle brush (Appendix F, Item 1).
(3) Allow to dry.
(1) Inspect hardware for damage.
(2) Inspect feed cam for damage.
(3) Inspect feed cam wheel for damage.
(4) Inspect needle bar cam damage.
(5) Inspect feed cam shaft for damage.
(6) Inspect wheel trip point for damage.
Repair. Repair is limited to deburring and the replacement of defective components.
The machine should be stopped and locked.
(1) Install wheel trip point (1).
(2) Slide feed cam wheel (2) onto the feed cam shaft (3). Make sure it is oriented as previously marked.
Install two setscrews (4), but do not tighten.
(3) Make sure that the looper crank arrows are lined up with the markings on the housing.
(4) Slide feed cam shaft (3), into the machine head from the bottom so that the wheel trip point (1)
contacts the point on the stop motion plate.