PANEL, RACK AND WHEELWELL MAINTENANCE - c ontinued.
Repair of Holes and Dents in Panels and Wheel Wells - continued
(2) Holes - continued.
(g) Refinish both the inside and outside of the primed and patched area with olive drab paint
(Appendix F, Item 3). Allow primer to dry.
Paint before applying sealant. Paint will not adhere if applied after sealant is used.
(h) Apply sealing compound (Appendix F, Item 7) between both patches and the sheet metal.
Install the patches with rivets.
Wipe off excess sealing compound using wiping rag (Appendix F, Item 2).
Repair of Framework and Rack.
(1) Remove all paint from at least 4 inches (10.2 cm) on each side of the damaged area.
(2) Cut away the damaged area if bent or twisted. Cut away several inches away from a break. If
the frame is cracked, the area does not have to be cut away.
(3) Cut a new piece of material of the same size and shape as the frame piece to be repaired.
Remove paint before welding. Burnt paint will emit toxic fumes.
(4) Place the new piece into position and weld into place. If frame was cracked, weld the crack using
aluminum techniques. Refer to TM 9-237 for proper welding technique.
(5) Refinish the repaired area with one coat of zinc chromate primer (Appendix F, Item 6). Allow
primer to dry.
(6) Refinish area with olive drab paint (Appendix F, Item 3). Refer to TM 43-0139 for proper painting
instructions. Allow paint to dry.
Installation. If cabinet was removed, install cabinet on the trailer (para 5-6).