2-12. OPERATING PROCEDURES FOR DARNING SEWING MACHINE - continued.
Selecting Needle - continued.
(4) Needle selection is based on the following:
126 x 3, Size 16
Describes the gage and eye size of the needle.
Describes the length of needle and type of point.
Describes the needle shaft length.
Be sure that power is turned off.
Installing the Needle.
Never use a bent needle or one with the point blunted or turned.
(1) Select a good needle of the proper size as explained in paragraph 2-12a. Set the needle with the
long groove to the left.
Always rotate the machine hand wheel towards you. Turning the hand wheel away from you will
break or bend needles or damage bobbin case or rotating sewing hook.
(2) To set needle (3), turn the hand wheel toward you until needle bar (1) moves up to its highest
(3) Loosen the needle set screw (2), about one turn, put the shank of needle (3) up into the clamp as
far as it will go, and turn the long groove of needle (3) so that it faces to the left with the eye of
the needle going from left to right.
(4) Tighten needle set screw (2). If screw (2) is too loose, theneedle will turn or slip.