The Containerized Latrine must be electrically grounded. Failure to ground the Containerized
Latrine may result in serious injury or death to personnel from electrical malfunction.
ELECTRICITY CAN KILL YOU. Electricity cannot be seen but it can kill you. Electricity is
unlike most dangerous things you can come in contact with because it gives no warning and
no symptoms to be wary of. Its effect is immediate. It can kill you, render you unconscious,
or severely burn you.
Leather gloves and eye protection must be worn when installing the grounding rod. Failure to
do so could result in serious injury to eyes or hands. Do not place hands between the driving
stud and the coupling. Be sure all connections are tight so as to avoid spark between the
units and ground rod.
Ensure all circuit breakers on circuit breaker panel are set to the OFF position to prevent
shorting of equipment when power is initially established.
Drive grounding rod next to the power panel to a depth of 8 to 9 feet.
1. Identify the following components: slide hammer (1), driving rod (2), three ground rod sections (3),
three couplings (4), and ground cable (5) with clamp (6) and connector.
2. Screw coupling (4) onto the flat end of rod section (3).
3. Install slide hammer (1) onto driving rod (2).
4. Install driving rod (2) onto coupling (4). Turn the nut and anvil (7) down towards the coupling until both
5. Drive the section (3) into the ground with a slide hammer (1) until only six inches of the ground rod
section remains above ground. Remove the driving rod (2) from the coupling.
6. Screw the pointed end of a second ground rod section (3) into the first ground rod coupling (4); screw
the second ground rod coupling onto the second ground rod section.
7. Install driving rod (2) onto coupling (4).