Test the Extension Cord
High voltage is present on this equipment. Do not perform maintenance function with
power connected. Serious injury or death to personnel may result if safety precautions
are not observed.
1. Press the TEST button on the GFCI, reset, and unplug.
2. Replace an extension cord which does not pass this test.
3. Using an ohmmeter or multimeter set to read ohms, connect one lead from the multimeter to a flat
prong (1) on the male plug (2).
4. Connect the other lead first to one inlet (3) on the female end (4) of the cord, then the other. One
5. Connect the lead to the other flat prong (1) on the male plug (2), and repeat step 2.
6. Connect one lead of the multimeter to the ground prong (5), and the other lead to the ground inlet (6).
There should be continuity.
7. Connect one lead to the male ground prong (5), and then check first one, then the other male flat
prong (1). There should be no continuity between the ground and the other prongs.
8. Replace an extension cord that does not pass these tests.