11-6. REPAIR AND MAINTENANCE-Continued
(d) Replacement of the slide fastener. Replace defective slide fasteners, using the applicable following procedures:
(1) Remove the buttons on the coverall front to clear the sewing machine presser foot when sewing.
(2) Cut the slide fastener tapes from the garment, cutting as close to the facing as possible without damaging
(3) Cut across below the scoop head extension and remove the slide fastener from the garment.
(4) Apply cement to the side of the new slide fastener tape that will be next to the fabric. Metal scoops must
be kept free of cement.
(5) Position new slide fastener, using old tape as a guide.
(6) Starting at the bottom, set each side of the slide fastener to the sides of the opening, leaving a 3/16-inch (0
5 cm) space between scoops and edge of opening. Sew a double row of stitching, sewing along the old
(7) Apply cement over the stitching, and cement strapping to cover stitching on inside and outside of garment.
(8) Replace the buttons removed In (1) above.
(9) Thoroughly Impregnate any thread exposed on the outside of the garment with protective coating.
(10) Apply dusting powder (talc) inside and outside the garment to prevent cement from adhering to other
portions of the garment.
(e) Replacement of thongs.
(1) Remove the damaged thong from the slide fastener keeper.
(2) Cut a new piece of braid of sufficient length from the bulk stock supply
(3) Loop the braid through the slide fastener keeper and make a single loop knot In the ends of the braid to tie
(f) Strapping Follow the procedures below for the repair and replacement of loose or missing strapping. After
strappings have adhered properly, lightly dust seams inside and outside of garment with dusting powder (talc) to
prevent cement from adhering to other portions of the garment.
(1) Separation (1 inch or less)