TM 9-4940-444-14 & P
RENEWAL PARTS AND INSTRUCTION PUBLICATION FOR NEMA SIZE "1"
3 POLE STARTER WITH STANDARD TRIP EUTECTIC OVERLOAD RELAY
NOTE The power unit item 1 consists of a factory assembly of
all the magnetic parts, movable contacts, and their carrier
assembly. This unit usually permits immediate restoration
to service of a device which may have become Inoperative.
Unfasten the two gold colored Hex. Head screws "B",
pull out the power unit, plug-in the new and retighten the
screws "B". A set of stationary contacts is included with the
power unit, It is advisable to install these stationary contacts
at the same time, particularly if visual inspection indicates
that both the movable and stationary contacts need
replacement. Specify coil by suffix letter selected from coil
RENEWAL OF POWER CONTACTS
The power contacts when used within their rating will
Typical Starter Three Pole with Two Circuit Electrical Interlock
provide long trouble free life. They should not be filed or
This publication is designed to simplify inspection and
1. Remove the power unit assembly by loosening the two gold
maintenance. It features...
colored slotted hex head screws "B" and pull the power unit
1. A publication number keyed to the ordering number of the
device...to simplify filing and fact finding.
2. A nameplate inscription keyed to the specific renewal parts
publication...to eliminate cross referencing.
3. An exploded view for easy, positive identification of parts
with illustrated steps on "how to assemble and
disassemble"...to conserve time and eliminate guesswork.
4. Comprehensive maintenance information to provide
maximum performance. This information should be read
2. Depress one end of the movable contact and push the
contact out (see sketch "A").
3. Remove the springs item 10.
These are three pole, three phase, non-reversing A-c
4. Remove the retainers item 9.
magnetic starters for across the line applications within the
ratings shown on the nameplate of the equipment.
These starters require no mechanical maintenance. Any
maintenance required can be performed with an electricians
screwdriver. For continued uninterrupted performance, renew
all of the power contacts and springs at the same time before
5. Install the new retainers item 9. (see sketch "C") Note -the
the contact tip material has worn away. When renewing the
retainer must be installed so the springs will seat over the
contacts check all terminal screws to insure they are tight and
extruded hole, with the retainer ends extending away from
secure. Suggestion refer to publication 14183 for helpful
information on inspecting and determining when to replace
6. Install the spring item 10 (see sketch "D").
7. Install the contact (see sketch "B"). Insert contact, raise
end slightly and push in to seat.
RENEWAL OF OPERATING COIL
The operating coil is epoxy encapsulated and so
constructed to provide long service life. Should the coil require
NOTE - It is not necessary to disconnect any wiring.
changing, the entire operation can be performed in a few
8. Remove the screws securing the stationary contacts.
9. Slide the contact out of the groove in the molding. A hole in
1. Unfasten the two pan head cover screws "A" and remove
the contact plate is provided for convenient removal with a
the cover item 16.
2. Tilt the top of the armature item 11 away from the coil.
10. Install the new contacts.
3. Slide the armature up and out.
CAUTION - The stationary contacts must be installed so they
4. Remove the spring plate item 12.
seat on top of the terminal plates. (See typical assembly top of
5. Pull the coil straight out.
) ELECTRICAL INTERLOCKS The electrical interlocks
6. Install the new coil with the coil terminal blades engaging
are renewable as a complete assembly. See page 15 for the
the coil terminal clips.
various electrical interlocks.
7. Install and seat the spring plate.
8. Slide the armature (narrow end to the right) into its seated
Do not lubricate any part of this equipment.
9. Install the cover.
RENEWAL OF POWER UNIT