Test Sump Pump Outlet
High voltage is present on this equipment. Serious injury or death to personnel may
result if safety precautions are not observed.
A step aid may be required to perform this maintenance task.
1. Remove four screws (1) and cover (2) to junction box (3).
2. Unplug sump pump (4) from outlet (5).
3. Using a multimeter set to read at least 250VAC, check for power between each receptacle inlet (6).
There should be approximately 115VAC between the two receptacle inlets.
4. Use a multimeter set to read at least 250VAC to check for power at ground inlet (7). There should be
no power reading between either receptacle inlet (6) and the ground inlet. If power exists, turn main
breaker to OFF.
5. If sump pump outlet (5) passes steps 1. and 2. successfully, no further testing is required. If not,
disconnect power and proceed to the next step.
6. Remove four screws (8) from outlet bracket (9) and remove outlet bracket.
7. Remove two screws (10) and nuts (11) holding outlet (5) to outlet bracket (9).
8. Pull outlet (5) out enough to provide access to the wires (12).
9. Tag wires (12) and remove outlet (5).
10. Use a multimeter set to read ohms (Ω) to test for continuity. If no continuity exists between inlets (6)
and terminals (13), replace outlet (5). If continuity exists between any terminals and ground, replace
11. Reconnect wires (12) to terminals (13) as tagged.
12. Install outlet (5) in outlet bracket (9) and retain with screws (10) and nuts (11).
13. Install outlet bracket (9) and retain with screws (8).
14. Reconnect power, and turn the main breaker and breaker #6A to ON.
15. Repeat steps 3. and 4.
16. Plug in sump pump plug.