5-24. CLOTHING SEWING MACHINE STITCH LENGTH REGULATOR MAINTENANCE - continued.
(1) Remove all buildups of grease, dirt, etc., by wiping with a wiping rag (Appendix F, Item 2).
Cleaning solvent, Federal Specification P-D-680, is both toxic and flammable.
Keep off skin. Use only in a well- ventilated area and avoid prolonged breathing of
vapors. Keep away from open flame.
(2) Clean using cleaning solvent (Appendix F, Item 8) and either a wiping rag (Appendix F, Item 2) or a
medium bristle brush (Appendix F, Item 1).
(3) Allow to dry.
(1) Inspect hardware for damage.
(2) Inspect dial for damage.
(3) Inspect spring for damage.
(4) Inspect pin for damage.
(5) Inspect feed regulator screw for damage.
(6) Inspect bracket for damage.
(7) Inspect lever for damage.
(8) Inspect shaft for damage.
(9) Inspect handle for damage.
Repair. Repair is limited to the replacement of defective parts and the removal of burrs.
Make sure that the pointed set screw (3) lines up with "v" groove in shaft.
(1) Install lever (1) onto shaft (2) securing with setscrew (3) and screw (4).
(2) Install shaft screw (5) on the end of shaft (2).