5-57. BUTTON SEWING MACHINE LIFTING ARM AND THREAD PULLOFF
(1) Remove all buildups of grease, dirt, etc., by wiping with a wiping rag (Appendix F, Item 2).
Cleaning solvent, Federal Specification P-D-680, is both toxic and flammable. Keep off skin.
Use only in a wellventilated area and avoid prolonged breathing of vapors. Keep away from open
(2) Clean using cleaning solvent (Appendix F, Item 8) and either a wiping rag (Appendix F, Item 2) or a
medium bristle brush (Appendix F, Item 1).
(3) Allow to dry
(1) Inspect hardware for damage.
(2) Inspect lifting arm for damage
(3) Inspect front pulloff for damage.
(4) Inspect rear pulloff for damage.
(5) Inspect clamp lift shaft for damage and straightness.
(6) Inspect thread spring for corrosion and broken coils.
(7) Inspect lifting rod arm for damage
Repair. Repair is limited to the replacement of defective components.
Flat on clamp lift shaft (1) goes toward front of the machine.
Thread collar (3) has four holes drilled in one side, make sure
this side faces spring (4).
Be sure end of thread spring (4) is placed in holes of thread
collar (3) and rear thread holder (5).