Replace the Heater Element
High voltage is present on this equipment. Do not perform maintenance function with
power on. Disconnect power input to the CL/CLS and place the power cable end where it
can be directly observed while performing this task. Serious injury or death to personnel
may result if safety precautions are not observed.
Containerized Latrine or Containerized Latrine System hot water operates at
approximately 110F to 120F (43.3C to 48.8C). Ensure the water has cooled off
before performing any type of work on the system. Failure to follow this warning could
result in serious injury to personnel from scalding.
1. Disconnect electrical power and fresh water supply.
2. Drain the water heater (1) by opening drain valve (2) under sink stand.
3. Remove service panel (3) and insulation from water heater (1).
4. Tag and disconnect electrical wiring from element (4).
5. Unscrew element (4) from water heater (1).
6. Install replacement element (4) with new gasket (5).
7. Connect wiring to element (4) as tagged.
8. Install insulation and service panel (1) onto water heater (1), and retain with screw.
9. Close drain valve (2).
10. Reconnect water supply and fill water heater. (While water heater is filling, open hot water faucets on
sinks to let air escape.) When water begins to flow from faucets, close them.
11. Reconnect power, and turn circuit breaker ON.