Replace the Hot Water Heater
High voltage is present on this equipment. Do not perform maintenance function with
power on. Disconnect power input to the CL/CLS and place the power cable end where it
can be directly observed while performing this task. Serious injury or death to personnel
may result if safety precautions are not observed.
Containerized Latrine or Containerized Latrine System hot water operates at
approximately 110F to 120F (43.3C to 48.8C). Allow water to cool off before
performing any type of work on the system. Failure to follow this warning could result in
serious injury to personnel from scalding.
1. Disconnect electrical power and fresh water supply.
2. Drain the water heater (1) by opening drain valve (2) under sink stand.
CL/CLS may be fitted with PVC pipe unions, which may be disconnected with slip joint
pliers. If not, PVC pipe must be cut and reconnected with couplings. If a CL/CLS is not
fitted with pipe unions, this task must be carried out by Direct Support maintenance
personnel. Refer to WP 0065 00 for instructions to install PVC couplings onto PVC pipe.
3. Disconnect PVC supply (3) from water heater (1).
4. Disconnect PVC discharge (4) from water heater (1).
5. Remove the service panel (5) and insulation from water heater (1).
6. Tag and disconnect the wiring from the power supply conduit (6).
7. Remove the power supply conduit locknut (7), and remove the power supply conduit (6).
8. Remove strap (8) securing water heater (1) to sink stand.
The water heater ships with screws attaching it to the mounting brackets. The screws
may be discarded if the water heater has been replaced.
9. Remove the screws retaining the water heater (1) to the mounting brackets (9).
10. Remove water heater (1) from sink stand.