5-28. CLOTHING SEWING MACHINE TIMING.
This task covers:
Needle and Shuttle Timing
Feed Dog with Needle Timing
Feed Dog Height
INITIAL SETUP :
General Mechanics Tool Kit (Appendix B,
Sewing machine removed (para. 2-18).
Thread removed (para. 2-8).
Presser foot and throat plate removed (para. 5-14).
Needle and Shuttle Timing.
Needle must be all the way up and the long groove must be facing out.
(1) Bring the needle to its lowest position and then raise the needle 2 mm (5/64 inch) by rotating the
pulley, toward the front of the machine.
(2) Check that the point of the sewing hook is at the top of needle eye in the center of the needle. If it is
not, remove the face plate (para. 4-23) and loosen the needle bar clamp screw. Move the needle
bar, as necessary, and retighten the screws.
(3) Check that the rotary hook point is at the center line of the needle. Loosen the two setscrews going
into the shaft and rotate the rotary hook assembly as needed.
(4) Tighten the rotary hook setscrew and recheck all settings.
(5) Rotate pulley toward the front of the unit to ensure there is no interference or binding.