5-45. BUTTON SEWING MACHINE NEEDLE BAR MAINTENANCE.
This task covers:
INITIAL SETUP :
General Mechanics Tool Kit (Appendix B,
Face Plate removed (para. 5-43)
Thread removed (para. 2-13).
Needle removed (para. 2-13).
Rag, wiping (Appendix F, Item 2)
Cleaning Solvent (Appendix F, Item 8)
Brush, Medium Bristle (Appendix F, Item 1)
(1) Loosen the hinge stud screw (1) that secures the needle bar to
the connecting stud.
(2) Remove needle setscrew (2).
(3) Slide the needle bar (3) from the connecting link stud and from
the top of the machine.
(1) Remove all buildups of grease, dirt, etc., by wiping with a wiping rag, (Appendix F, Item 2).
Cleaning solvent, Federal Specification P-D-680, is both toxic and flammable. Keep off skin.
Use only in a well ventilated area and avoid prolonged breathing of vapors. Keep away from
(2) Clean using cleaning solvent (Appendix F, Item 8) and either a wiping rag (Appendix F, Item 2) or a
medium bristle brush (Appendix F, Item 1).
(3) Allow to dry.