5-45. BUTTON SEWING MACHINE NEEDLE BAR MAINTENANCE - continued.
(1) Inspect screw for damage.
(2) Inspect needle bar for bending and other damage.
Repair. Repair is limited to the replacement of defective items.
(1) Slide the needle bar (1) into the connecting link stud
through the top of the machine.
(2) Secure needle bar with screw (2)
(3) Install needle setscrew (3).
(1) Install needle per paragraph 2-13. Make sure the needle is as far up as it will go into the needle bar.
(2) Engage clutch and hand-turn the drive pulley to bring the needle bar to its highest position.
(3) Loosen the hinge stud screw that holds the needle bar connecting link stud to the needle bar (1).
(4) Hold the needle bar connecting link stud at the highest point of its stroke, and move the needle bar
(1) up or down to bring the top of the needle eye 1-5/16 inch above the top surface of the needle
plate and tighten screw (2).
(5) Check this adjustment to see that the needle point does not protrude through the needle hole in the
looper when the needle bar is at the bottom of its stroke. This check cannot be made until the looper
is adjusted or timed correctly (para. 2-13).